- 1 7/12/19
- 2 7/6/19
- 3 7/1/19
- 4 Champion Xeos and Thrashers are possible now. Be careful!
- 4.1 Asanas
- 4.2 Undersea Palace
- 4.3 Alchemy
- 4.4 Bestiary
- 4.5 Shadowcraft
- 4.6 MINION IMPROVEMENTS
- 4.7 RESTING / EVASION
- 4.8 ALTERNATE STAT CHANGE MODE
- 4.9 ANCIENT ZIGGURAT
- 4.10 RECITATION SCROLLS & OGRE
- 4.11 GNOME REINCARNATION BOOK
- 4.12 CORPSE LOOTING
- 4.13 GUILDHALL SONGS
- 4.14 NOXIOUS STRIKE
- 4.15 LIGHT SPELL
- 4.16 HEALTH MOD IN THE FORGE
- 4.17 MONSTER IMPROVEMENTS
Are now purchasable from Korath at Waylay Oasis. He found them after the defeat of the High Sorcerers by our brave adventurers...
It appears that these crystals can be modified with shards to add strange enchantments to them... for now, only five modifiers are available until the system gets explored by adventurers a bit.
There's a scrying device in the Ancient Ziggurat under the waters of the Great Ocean. It accepts only Scrying Crystals.
When a Scrying Crystal is put in, the device opens a portal to one of the many strata of Chaos radiating from within the world, where the Ancient One sleeps.
The first 5 tiers of chaos strata are now available. These are nightmarish versions of the real world with wildly harder and more chaotic monsters than ever seen before. TP, XP, and drops are all boosted based on difficulty. You can also make a Stratum harder by enchanting the Scrying Crystal used to open it. Doing so improves your chances of getting another Scrying Crystal from the boss within it... and that Crystal will be one step higher difficulty, with a chance of being from a new tier of areas.
Unlike survival, there are no complex special rules going on. PvP is on, death is real, and anyone can attack anyone.
Death is real in a Chaos Stratum. I repeat, death is real there.
Thing is... a Chaos Stratum isn't a tucked-away instance. If you create a Chaos Stratum nightmare version of Main Gate of Tos, then that is where the Stratum is. Anyone with 5 enlightenments or higher will be able to perceive it, and can enter and exit at will through normal doors and edges. Anyone below 5 enlightenments will have no idea anything is different...
Chaos Strata have a boss that appears after a number of kills. That number rises with difficulty. The boss can drop up to two Scrying Crystals.
The boss also has a 1% chance to drop a Bottle of Dye.
Have fun exploring this new system! And please pelt us with feedback. This is a massive endeavor that will probably have many revisions.
In the meantime, solo and guild survival are turned off. Public survival remains for now.
NEW SCHOOL IMPROVEMENTS
- New creature conversations written by SunnyCat have gone in for Giant Spiders, Scorpions, Skeletons, Living Trees, the Lich, and the Mad King.
(these don't activate quests yet, but soon)
- The new schools have been enabled for Meditate now that we have enough data about what imping them is like. Thanks for your hard work! Newbies who don't have tons of TPs will appreciate it.
- Shadowcraft is Jonas, Alchemy is Duke, Bestiary is Cess.
- Forget potions added for Alchemy, Bestiary, and Shadowcraft.
- New skills and spells should properly give Accumulated Wisdom when imping them the old fashioned way now.
- Willpower & Soul Domination imp on any CanControlNewMinion check now, not just when you're at max control. Concession to how annoying it was.
- Turned off that godawful token rumor spam for League NPCs.
- Turned on the Mysterious Traveler's teacher talk, e.g. 'level one', 'level two', how much you need for level and so on.
- Flicker Strike and Shadowstep no longer have any base damage reduction at 99%. They're probably going to be OP now, so bear with us as we see how this goes... see the next section.
- Breath skill imp rates increased.
- Pressure Points imp rate greatly increased.
- Flowing Cloth only imps while wearing a robe now.
- Punch damage empowerment mods now exist.
- Punch empowerment mods can roll on rings, necklaces, and so on, but especially on gauntlets and berserker rings. Berserker rings also got a third possible suffix.
In general, berserker rings will always roll offense, punch damage, weapon damage, might, aim, and now also agility. So if you have a 6 mod zerker ring, that's what the 6 mods will be.
- Punch empowerment mods can be crafted from Quake Tier 2 on the Adventurer's League forge. See next section.
- Heartstone shards forge value is now 10, up from 2. So previously 100 shards gave 200 value toward the next tier, now 100 gives 1000 points.
Tier 2 starts at 5000 points.
- Automaton vigor regeneration doubled. You will now reach equal to 99% Fortitude at Reincarnation 10, and double it at Reincarnation 20.
This makes automatons basically inexhaustible at high reincs, so yeah, that's kinda their theme.
- New Holy Shields ilvl now go to 3x spellpower, up to ilvl 300.
- New Holy Shields have 4 sockets.
You can remove gems from sockets using herbutte's gem removal tool.
- Purge now applies the same humbling to players as it does to monsters.
So when a player's purged, not only will they lose buff power like you're used to, their magical resistances will be drastically reduced by the same effect given by Holy damage. However, this source is pure. Holy touch is an attack, so it applies impurely at half strength. Not so here. Pure humbling energy is very effective. A 99 spellpower purge will drain 50% or 60% magical resistances initially. Humbling wears off by roughly 10% resistances every 3 seconds, so it takes 20 to 30 seconds to recover fully.
As a reminder, Humbling can't take someone below 0 resists, so it does not stack well with hexes. Hexes act first, so if your hex takes someone low, humbling won't do very much (or anything at all if the hex hits 0 or lower).
Sorcery's Inert Form helps resist this powerful new piece of Purge, but does not resist the buff-degrading portion. That's because Inert Form resists elemental status effects, which include humbling. Knightcraft's Piety resists the buff-degrading portion, but does not resist the humbling status effect.
Champion Xeos and Thrashers are possible now. Be careful!
- Shadowcraft has a series of skills called asanas, which represent breathing and pose techniques.
They have powerful effects, but only while resting, and only if you haven't been hit in the last few seconds. For example, Mayurasana, the level 6 asana, can provide up to triple the amount of health regenerated per tick - but only if you're resting, and only if you haven't been hit in the last 4 seconds. This represents a monk retreating from combat temporarily between bouts to rapidly recharge. You can't use these to simply tank damage, since they'll fail to work if someone is hitting you.
This is important for people to know in case of PvP - if your enemy backs off to employ asanas, do not give them time.
- Had to have its inner content disabled at the last second due to a surprise bug appearance on live that didn't happen on testing. However, the entryway is still there, if you're looking to go diving.
Expect Undersea Palace in the next 2 to 10 days!
Alchemy is Meridian's school of Item Magic and is an expression of the Natural Sciences in a world with magic. It is heavily based on Intellect and highly connected to civilization and the sciences. Its primary reagent is shillings, portrayed as actually transmuting the gold or purchasing alchemical supplies.
Alchemy books that teach spells and skills have been completely lost to the ages. The last known alchemist was purported to be heading to Meridian by sailing ship, but he never made it...
Create Shield - Spell. Manifests a temporary shield.
Create Helmet - Spell. Manifests a temporary helmet.
Ring Sustainment - Skill. Resist charge loss of worn rings. Consumes shillings when successful.
Mechanized Quiver - Skill. Resist arrow consumption. Consumes shillings when successful.
Douse - Spell. Puts out your + enemy firewalls.
Maintenance - Skill. Resist durability loss. Consumes shillings when successful.
Imbue Ring - Spell. Craft a ring containing a buff of your choice.
Transmogrification - Skill. Resist reagent use by burning shillings instead
Detonate bombs - Spell. Detonates your bombs.
Fire bomb - Bomb. Sets enemies on fire in an area. (Applies lots of STATUS_BURNING). Also leaves firewalls.
Reconstruct - Spell. Repair a completely destroyed item.
Unstable Infusion - Stance. Causes the alchemist's weapon to randomly deal fire, shock, cold, or acid damage, but never the same one in a row.
Lightning bomb - Bomb. Detonation applies STATUS_SHOCKED, leaves lightning walls, and dazzles in an area.
Spellbomb - Bomb. Creates a bomb that, when detonated, casts an attack spell you know.
Elemental Imbalance - Skill. The alchemist's elemental hits very briefly give an nemy +% resistance to the elements they're hit with, but -% to all other elements.
Potion Preservation Skill. Resist potion charge use, lower potion filling cost.
Harmonics - Skill. Alchemist can wear a second ring. Increased damage taken until 99% is reached.
Bestiary is a school of research and knowledge, which comes in many forms.
Bestiary books that teach spells and skills have a 5% chance to drop from any champion mob.
Bestiary books are not consumed upon use. You can use them then lend them.
Much of the monster dialogue when you Creature Speak monsters was written by a new contributor, SunnyCat.
Crawling Charm - charm insects
Creature Speak - talk to monsters
Mark of Aggression - caster's minions attack the marked battler
Study Mysticals - analyze a live monster to learn about its spells
Release Minion - releases a minion
Skitteratic - insect language
Verdant Charm - charms plant-type creatures
Study Physicals - gain info on resistances
Soothing Presence - spell that makes weak mobs ignore you
Towering Presence - spell that causes up to 500 pts additional aggro
Sylvan language - fey and tree language
Amphibic language frogmen and water monster language
Willpower - increase minion control limit
Mark of Defense - caster's minions cast ally spells on caster
Creature Binding - prevents charm from wearing off for up to 90 minutes
Birdsong - avar language
Orcish - orc language
Convoke - bring all minions to you (move animation stops, bug)
Primal Charm - charms animals
Gift of Vitality - caster sacrifices some of his/her health to heal minions
Gift of spirit - caster sacrifices some of his/her mana to give mana to minions
Primal Language - animal language
Trollimaic - troll language
Animated Charm - (requires neg Karma) charms undead
Inspiring Charm - (requires good Karma) charms living humanoids
Soul Domination - dramatically increase minion control limit
Mark of Magic - caster's minions cast spells at the marked battler, if they can
Prismatic Charm - charms elementals
Draconic - dragon language
Shadowcraft is a school of monk and martial arts disciplines taught by a mysterious traveler in the Adventurer's League in Cor Noth...
A note on breath skills: they activate when resting, and being hit stops them for 4 seconds. So if you haven't been hit recently, you can rest and start them immediately. However, enemies can hit you and stop your breath skills. All breath skills that you have work together. You don't have to choose.
Way of the Serpent Skill. Greater offense with punches. Stacks with Punch WC skill.
Wound Mask Skill. Your screams always sound like you are on full health.
Flowing Cloth Skill. You have increased defense in robes.
Matsyasana Breath. Extend your breath time underwater.
Pressure Points Skill. You can critical with punches, applying stun.
Iron Weave Skill. You reduce the weapon and magic resistance penalty of robes.
Mystic Stealth Stance. Your casting sounds are muffled.
Salabhasana Breath. Your vigor regeneration increases dramatically while resting.
Touch of Death Skill. More damage with punches.
Unified Blazon Skill. You get the spellpower boost of robes of the disciple for any school. Special robes color.
Vrikshasana Breath. You can sense hidden and invisible enemies while resting.
Way of the Bird Skill. Defense while unarmed.
Desecration Skill. Dealt holy damage becomes unholy, fire becomes cold, and shock becomes acid.
Sirsasana Breath. Mana regeneration increases dramatically while resting.
Flicker Strike Skill. Punch twice as fast.
Sanctification Skill. Received unholy damage becomes holy damage, cold becomes fire, and acid becomes shock.
Padmasana Breath. You cleanse debuffs moment by moment.
Shadowstep Stance. Teleport to random angle, leave afterimages, strike up to three times (normal, flicker strike, and shadowstep)
Mayurasana. Breath. Your health regeneration increases dramatically while resting.
- You can now see who owns a minion, and what their binding level is, in the monster's description.
- There are ten binding levels representing your control. A generic monster shrugs off one binding level per 10 minutes.
You will receive a warning for each lost binding level. The bestiary binding spell can take this to level 9, which means roughly 90 minutes of control before refreshing binding is needed. This system is designed to make minions last for a solid adventure, but not make minions trivial to keep and obtain. Our current design philosophy is that minions should not be simple permanent upgrades to your character. They're something you need to manage and protect. If you find a way to bring a monster to level 10 binding, it will be permanently bound, aka no loyalty loss.
Loyalty and binding aren't lost in safe areas. You can AFK safely and your minions will be on 'pause'.
If you phase, your minions remain, but can't attack or be attacked. Their loyalty will 'pause' as well.
If you log off, all of your minions will vanish with you into limbo, and their loyalty will 'pause'. When you log on, they will reappear with you.
There are some grace periods on unpausing the loyalty timer, so you won't generally lose bits of loyalty from brief runs outside.
Some monsters are charm resistant and bind resistant. Intelligent and humanoid monsters tend to shrug off binding faster.u
- Your minion limit is now based on your health. You can control, at base, monsters whose max health points sum to your base max health.
The new Bestiary skill Willpower doubles this, and the new Bestiary skill Soul Domination doubles it again. (x4 total). This means you can control dozens of giant rats or one awesome champion avar, just to list some examples. (champion status vastly increases HP) Note that level is not hp. Some monsters have less hp for their level, and some have more. HP is also random, so you might fail to control one avar, but nab another that spawns with less hp.
- Anything under your control follows you when you enter a new area now.
Previously, the monster had to be within a small range of you. That was really annoying, and we'd already coded exceptions for animated undead and reflections. Now all monsters zone with you. So run as fast as you like, they'll zone with you. It's still on you to wait for them within an area, though, unless you use the new Convoke spell to bring them to yo
- Reflections still have their own 2-flec limit. They don't count for minion control, as they're not real monsters. They're illusions, Michael.
- The Qor Crest now halves the minion cost for undead, so you can control double the number of undead.
If you're also a Bestiary mage, you could theoretically control up to x8 your base max HP of undead. This is a force to be reckoned with, and we're watching it for balance reasons, but the fact that it's limited to one player per server and undead have some huge vulnerabilities probably makes this not so overpowered. Have fun commanding an army of undead.
- If you use the Qor spell animate to create an undead beyond your minion limit, it'll be hostile. Careful.
- Minions are now pass-through aka you can move through them.
RESTING / EVASION
- You can no longer block, dodge, parry, shield wall, counterattack, or tumble while resting.
- In fact, you can no longer evade attacks at all while resting. You are guaranteed to be hit.
Not that players were really resting mid-combat or anything, but you might now, considering the new Shadowcraft asanas.
- You can no longer block while held.
- You can however, shield wall and counterattack while held, so that these stances aren't bypassed by a simple hold.
- Counterattack now breaks hold when it triggers. If you're held, you'll be freed as part of the counterattack move.
- Shield Wall still works while held because you're already holding your shield ahead of you, and you're vulnerable from the back.
ALTERNATE STAT CHANGE MODE
- For those who use the Ogre client or whose stat window dll doesn't work due to system incompatibility, there is now
an alternate stat change mode.
The elder in Raza, the elder in Marion, and the elder in Jasper can all do this. Check out their bios for the process.
First, reset all your stats to one by saying 'reset stats', then train stats by saying, train might train five might train ten might
And so on for each stat. You'll get a report after each addition to help you quickly set your desired stats. When you leave the area, your stats will be set in stone and your trinket or free reset will be consumed. If you go over your intended amounts, say 'reset stats' again for no cost.
- There's a new guild hall somewhere in the world...
RECITATION SCROLLS & OGRE
- Using Ogre? Having trouble with hotkeys and stances? Use the new Recitation Scroll item sold by Frisconar.
Recitation Scrolls cause you to say whatever you've written on them when you 'use' them. This can activate stances. It's exactly the same as a normal say command. You can assign a Recitation Scroll to a hotkey like any other item - and thus you can now hotkey stances.
GNOME REINCARNATION BOOK
- Now lists correct max stats for gnomes.
- Items have dramatically increased in value. There is now a server setting that limits the maximum number of singular items that can be taken from a corpse.
That setting is initially 2. So, for example, you can take all the reagents and money and shards, because those are number items. But you will have to pick and choose the 'singular' items, such as armor, weapons, shields and so on. With the current setting, you will only get to take 2 equipment pieces of your choice.
Guildmates can take any number of items from your corpse. The assumption is they're getting the items for you.
This corpse looting rule is a test thing. If people hate it, we'll totally revert it. It just seems rather crushing to lose your entire set(s) of gear in one death now that items can have so much work put into them.
- No more text spam when you enter or exit guildhall-cast songs.
- The hexes applied by Noxious Strike have had their spellpower cut yet again.
- Faren's level 1 Light spell finally has its sound back.
HEALTH MOD IN THE FORGE
- Has been fixed. It was improperly classified as a suffix when it's supposed to be a prefix.
MOVE SPEED AND ATTACK SPEED
- Monsters have had their speed stat split into move speed and attack speed.
This means that monsters that sprint at you don't necessarily super-spam attacks anymore. It also provides the potential for slow-moving but fast-attacking monsters.
- A new casting system for monsters, in which they visibly and audibly charge up spells to cast, has been created but not turned on yet.
Look for that in the future. It will give all monsters different cast speeds based on their abilities. For example, a Duke's mage might take 3 seconds to charge up a lightning bolt, but a Xeo will only take 1 second. This will let us create deadly spells that require you to get out of range before they go off, as one example of future content.