The new desert area. It is EXTREMELY dangerous to the unprepared./. Populated by xeos, golems, diseased trees, and deadly bandits, only the most powerful characters should venture here.
The environment itself wants you dead as the desert cycles through four elements, each with their own counters and dangers. Bring Resist Rings!!
To safely navigate the Desert you need to either be able to kill xeos or live long enough to outrun them. You can't enter the desert while protected by your guardian angel. There's always Truce as well.
Check out the FAQ Surviving the Desert
Portal to New Desert
The Portal is located in the Basement of the Bourgeois Castle. It is always accessible, and entering the Desert will give you the desert quest chain if you do not have it.
When you use the portal, you will find yourself in the Princess' landing zone, which is safe from the elements until you walk to the shore. There are no monsters in this zone. Casting Recall or Rescue while standing on the landing platform will return you to the basement.
- Mobs: Acid Xeos and Earth Golems
- Environmental Effects: Elemental Acid
- The toxic rain of the desert will corrode your bare skin. Wearing a helmet will protect you.
- Draconians are immune to the desert's dusk acid rain
- Active from 1800-2100 game time.
|This monster is level 150.||This monster is level 200.||View of Acid Desert|
- Mobs: Ro'xeochicatls, Fire Golems
- Environmental Effects - Elemental Heat
- The desert heat will burn you every few seconds if you are wearing armor.
- Removing Chest armor or robes will prevent you from taking damage. (you still can use: helmet, gauntlets, and shields)
- Half-Demons are immune to the desert's day heat
- Active from 0900-1800 game time.
|This monster is level 170.||This monster is level 200.||View of Fire Desert|
- Mobs: Ice creatures, ice xeos, ice golems.
- Environmental Effects - Elemental Blizzard
- The freezing winds of the desert will damage you unless you are wearing disciple robes (it doesn't matter what dedication).
- Half-Undines are immune to the desert's night blizzard
- Active 2100-0600 game time.
|This monster is level 160.||This monster is level 200.||This monster is level 190||View of Snowy Desert|
- Mobs: Ve'ro'xeochicatls and Diseased trees
- Environmental Effects - Elemental Static Shock
- The safest of the desert's elements.
- Growing bright spots will appear and give you a temporary boost to shock resistance.
- Active 0600-0900 game time.
- Thanks to Vecka's sacrifice, there are no dangerous elemental environmental effects during this time.
|This monster is level 150.|
This desert nomad has been hardened by a life of danger and hardship. It would not be wise to trifle with the tribe.
They can be found on Desert - Desolate Dunes.
|This monster is level 150.||Nomad Bandit Chest|
The Ancient Tomb
- The Ancient Tomb can be found on Desert - Desolate Dunes.
|Ancient Tomb Entrance||This monster is level 150.||The view of Ancient Tomb||Sorcerous Mortuary|
Located throughout the desert are timeworn altars. Interacting with these altars can bless you with shillings or experience points, or curse you with negative effects.
The sands have ground away all symbols and glyphs from this timeworn altar. Echoes of magic still remain, but it is impossible to determine which god or demon might respond to your prayer. Approaching and touching it may bring either a dire curse or great aid.
|Close up of an altar||Shrine with the altar|
This zone is extremely dangerous for the unprepared and flat-footed. Without high elemental and magic resistance, adventurers must take shelter from the raging elements or face certain death.
Entering from the Princess' castle will take you to the safe area in the Solitary Shoreline.
Stepping off of the platform will expose you to the elements, provided the appropriate prism is still active.
With the exception of the safe area of Solitary Shoreline or the Obelisk, you won't see the same zone twice. Heading east from the portal platform will first take you to the Desolate Dunes.
Continuing east will take you to the Sandbreak Cliffs.
There is a break in the cliff leading to A harrowing cleft which in turns leads to Waylay Oasis.
If you don't see the break in the cliff, heading north or south will eventually cycle you back through to it.
North North North
The order of zones goes Solitary Shoreline-> Desolate Dunes-> Sandbreak Cliffs. Going North/South in an area will lead you to an area of the same name.
South South South
The Elemental Prisms
The Prism of Ice can be reached at night by walking out across the oceanic ice one screen north of the drop into the desert. The entrance is only open when the element of ice is strongest. Use phase once to enter.
The Prism of Fire can be reached by taking narrow paths out of Waylay Oasis' ledges, then descending along the ledges inside the Abyssal Bore. The entrance is only open when the element of fire is strongest. Use phase once to enter.
The Prism of Acid can be reached by walking through the waterfall in Waylay Oasis during the day. The entrance is only open when the element of acid is strongest. Use phase once to enter.
The Prism of Lightning can be reached by heading east from Waylay Oasis and touching the Essence of Lightning.
The Prism of Life is to the west in the Biskalane afterlife. It is always open, assuming it hasn't been defeated.
The Prism of Death is to the east in the Biskalane afterlife. It is always open, assuming it hasn't been defeated.
The Exciting, Dangerous, Treasure Filled... And dangerous. Very dangerous Minotaur's Maze. The level of danger cannot be stressed enough. If you aren't a race with natural nightvision YOU NEED TORCHES! With the exception of Spiritual Shields, magical sources of light will not work.
You cannot leave by dying, as Xaerdun controls life and death in the desert. Dying will send you to Eternal Wastes, where you must bargain with him for your escape. If you say "summon" to him, he will summon your corpse after a set time, allowing you to loot it. You can buy One Pre-Packaged Soul for 64,000 shillings to buy your way out. If you don't have the shillings, Xaerdun will accept a sacrifice of 2 HPs in exchange for passage to the land of the living. Regardless of your means of escape, you still face normal death penalties. Once you have revived, you will find yourself in the Waylay Oasis.